In many places, walking or riding a bike as part of your commute falls somewhere between novel and impossible. In Boulder, pedestrian culture is a way of life. But Walk and Bike Month, the city’s annual celebration of walking and cycling, doesn’t happen on its own. Our friends who organize Walk & Bike Month put on almost 100 activities each June, culminating in Bike to Work Day on the fourth Wednesday of the month. They needed help promoting their activities, placing news about their cause in local media and using social media to alert their supporters to what’s happening.
- Graphic design – Logo design work, utility bill inserts, promotional collateral, including sponsorship kits.
- Public relations – Developing media kits, media lists, story pitches, email blasts, editorial writing and placement, letters to the editor, articles, photos and calendar announcements in a variety of publications.
- Social media – Establishing and maintaining social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter and
- Registration has grown more than 100 percent since Pivot’s involvement began in 2008.
- Private funding through sponsorships now funds a majority of this annual event.
- Paid media pickups and calendar announcements in a variety of publications.
- TV and radio coverage from local stations.
- Email blasts reaching 38,000 people during the month.
- Increases in Twitter followers and Facebook “Likes.”
- Extensive local and regional news coverage each year
“Pivot has transformed the media and outreach component of our program and has gotten us more press coverage in the last two years than any other time in the program’s 30-plus years. The Pivot team was great to work with. A number of their campaign ideas and projects added greatly to the profile and value of our program. The materials they produced were well-written and professional. They stayed well within budget and produced clear, useful reports throughout the project. They were always responsive.”
- Sue Prant, Director, Walk & Bike Month, Boulder, CO